Dental Unit Water Lines
This update aims to review the disinfection and management of Dental Unit Water Lines (DUWLs) and meets the requirements for CPD on disinfection and decontamination required by the GDC.
The GDC requires dental professionals to link their CPD activities to at least one development outcome as part of the new enhanced CPD scheme.
This module can be linked to development outcome C: Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field of practice.
Suitable for all members of the dental team involved with patient care.
Completion of this module and passing the associated quiz will satisfy GDC requirements for 1 hour of CPD in disinfection and decontamination.
The content does not have to be completed all at once, you will be returned to where you left off when your restart the e-learning module.
On completion of this module you should be able to:
- Describe the recommended levels of micro-organisms in dental unit water lines (DUWLs)
- Explain biofilm formation within DUWLs and their risk to health
- Identify those at risk of legionella
- Outline current legislation and regulations relating to dental practice
- Identify risk factors and appropriate management to keep patients safe
- Apply current recommendations on the care of water lines.
Topic 1: Introduction
Topic 2: Biofilms
Topic 3: Legionella and respiratory pathogens
Topic 4: Legislation and regulations
Topic 5: Risk factors
Topic 6: Recommendations
Topic 6: Summary
There are interactive questions and activities throughout the module, which are not assessed.
On completion of the module there is a separately assessed quiz.
You will need to achieve 70 % for this quiz to complete the module and access your CPD certificate. You will have two opportunities to achieve the required score.